Monday, October 19, 2009

Male Eating Disorder Treatment Journal

Canopy Cove Partial Residential Treatment Program Journal Series

Introduction—

My name is Patrick and I have been in strong recovery from anorexia nervosa for more than 20+ months. Back in March of 2008, I spent more than 30 days at a residential treatment program in Florida. I was the only guy and everything I experienced there was completely new to me. Going into treatment, I was broken and slowly dying. I went in a month before me scheduled wedding day. I was scared, lost, and not sure if I really wanted to live. I was a guy suffering with an (illness) that is perceived as something only upper class white women suffer from. (This is clearly not the case)

For days in treatment, I fought to understand who I was, and how I could overcome something that just seemed so hopeless. I am here today to tell you that there is hope, and that recovery is possible. I believe treatment gave me the foundation to live a life free from the bonds and chains of an eating disorder. While in treatment, I was encouraged to keep a journal, and that is exactly what I did.

Today, I am starting a new recovery blog series and I am going to share my personal journal, taking you inside the mind of a male athlete struggling with anorexia. Why would I share something so personal you might ask? For many reasons, I am doing this for myself. I want to see and feel the amazing growth I have taken on in the past 20 some months. I was taught in treatment to separate your eating disorder from the real you, and that’s exactly what I did. My “ED” had a name, a face, and a monstrous personality. Today, I am a much different person-- I am very compassionate, caring, loving, outgoing, and genuine. My journal will clearly illustrate my “ED” face and show glimpses of my true identity. After each daily journal post, I will then reflect on how I feel about that particular day now. (almost 2 years later)

My hopes are to show the world that recovery is possible, and to help those better understand the mindset of a male with an eating disorder. I hope this proves to be a very exciting, and educational series. I look forward to your comments as you embark on this 30 day journey with me.

Here is a brief overview of the treatment center I stayed at:

Canopy Cove Treatment Center

Canopy Cove is an eating disorder treatment center located in Tallahassee, Florida. Their program offers compassionate, comprehensive treatment for females and males of various ages, struggling with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorders. This is where I received treatment for my eating disorder and gained the life skills to return to the life I now live today. Canopy Cove uses the “Recovery Model,” which recognizes that an eating disorder is not merely just about food, yet it focuses on deeper unresolved issues. This model represents more than behavioral change; it embraces personal growth and development of life management skills. Therefore, you can fully recover, not remaining in a continuous process of "recovering." To learn more about Canopy Cove and the various treatment plans they offer, you can visit the website at www.canopycove.com

God Bless,
Patrick Bergstrom
Founder, I Chose To Live

4 comments:

SkinnyScorpio said...

Such an inspiring and enlightening post.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Juliana de Laurel said...

Patrick, I'm so glad of finding this blog. I'm fan of it in facebook too. I think it will be very helpful for my eating disorder (bulimia).
I'm from Colombia.
Nice to meet you.
Juliana

Alexandra Rising said...

I am going to further explore Canopy Cove. I like the way you describe the treatment plan. Thank you for that :)

I Chose To Live Free From ED said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and for following I Chose To Live on facebook and on the web. I am so excited to be doing this 30-Day Journal series. I have shared my story numerous times on many different levels but I think this is an awesome way to show the actual mindset of someone struggling with an eating disorder.

I love the comments and I look forward to hearing everyones insight in the future. Remember, recovery is possible.

Alexandra-- Canopy Cove is a wonderful place, and it really changed my life. I would suggest calling them and just speaking with them about your ED and what you are looking for. You will know if its the right fit or not. Stay strong my friends and never give up...

Swagg On,
Patrick